Thursday, September 19, 2013

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY...SECOND BIRTHDAY

Thursday, September 19, 2013

On this day in history....Dillon Jace Buckley
The IV pole that holds the bone marrow, as well as 9 other infusions

The clock in Dillon's room when they began the transplant
received his bone marrow transplant.  September 19, 2012.  Do you remember where you were when you heard the news?  Luca remembers.  He was at school.  As soon as the transplant was complete I called the school and asked the secretary to please have the teachers in Luca's and Dillon's classes announce that the transplant was complete.  Luca remembers his face feeling hot.  He remembers being so so so happy that he had to blink fast.  Luca remembers that his class cheered.  I called Sean several times throughout the processes at work so he was with us on the phone for some of the time.  I took photos of each step and emailed them to family as they happened...so it was like they were watching it live.  I remember the tears rolling down my face as my boy slept and the doctor announced..."We are done."

Today Dillon went to school, did homework, avoided chores, pestered his brother, and watched a movie.

LIFE IS GOOD!!

Dillon was very nonchalant and dismissive about the whole anniversary thing.  I offered to bring cupcakes to school to celebrate.....I got a huge eye roll.  I honestly don't feel as strongly about today as I thought I might.  It is strange really, a mystery to me.  Some people actually celebrate transplant day as much or more than birth days.  I thought I might be one of those people.....but it turns out I'm not.  Dillon does remember the transplant day but for him I think it was just another miserable day of feeling lousy, being sick, exhausted, and isolated in a hospital room.  He did not feel the hugeness of that specific day then and he doesn't now.  He does know that ultimately it saved his life....but so did all the other treatments he had; without everything else up to and including the infusion he had just yesterday....the transplant would have failed and he would probably not be here today.  I think I agree with him.   This day was one of many that were enormously significant.  I will be eternally grateful for this scientific miracle and the generous donor that let me continue being in this world with my sweet boy.

1 comment:

  1. Hardy seems possible that a year, the toughest year ever for you guys, has passed by. I remember exacty where I was. I was at home recieve emails every few minutes from you Shari about the progress. Thanks for the explaination of how you and the boys are feeling, that is something I had not really thought about. I just assumed it would be a big deal and very important, of course it is but no cupcakes.... you k now what I mean.

    ReplyDelete